Saturday, May 15, 2010

What... no... Airbus A380

Well, I have been looking for this elusive plane since it started flying to New York's JFK airport on November 20, 2009. I've gone plane watching, and I've seen it, but only fleetingly and only when I have not had a camera of any kind. Once I saw its tail 5 minutes after leaving a location that would have given me an amazing view of it. I once saw it fly over the local dollar store, and stopped in the middle of the parking lot, for a short view of it. Then, I saw it once (and have blurry photos) of it flying in the distance, about to land at JFK. Just by chance did I snap a couple of photos. Then, when I was at the right place at the right time, Air France changed the equipment to a 777 that day. I don't think I will ever see it.

If I were living in England, however, I guess I would just take up Air France's awesome £80 deal to fly from Heathrow to Charles De Gaulle. $150 bucks to fly on this thing? I'd totally do it. They are also offering business-class seats for £250 The thing can seat more than 500 passengers, and they are flying it on a short haul route (215 miles). How about a JFK-BOS A380 route, guys? Evidently, AirFrance can justify using the A380 on this route, because it's pretty busy. Emirates had an Airbus A380 flying from Dubai to JFK as well, but due to the lack of demand, dropped it in early 2009, replacing it, again, with a B777. I can't wait to see which US carrier uses the A380 first (if it ever happens) but my guess would be for Northwest, or with this new Continental/United merger, perhaps they will acquire the $300m+ plane. Right now, only four carriers have at least one: Air France, Emirates, Qantas, and Singapore Airlines.

Just because, here are some of my (horrible quality) pictures of the A380. These were taken in Woodmere, NY, coming in for a landing at JFK.


One day, Airbus A380, I will get you.

No comments:

Post a Comment